Saturday, September 22, 2012
PERIOD DRAMA PARLOUR GAMES: Character Connections
The nights are drawing in and soon, global warming permitting, Jack Frost may be nipping at our noses. So gather your dearest companions beside a roaring fire and, with a nice cup of Rosie Lee at everyone's disposable, play a period drama parlour game to knock the cobwebs off and to keep the company entertained for literally minutes. Alternatively, you could be by yourself and playing the game could serve to briefly distract you from your crippling loneliness and stave off more sinister thoughts. If only Miss Havisham (pictured above in the guise of Helena Bonham Carter) had been fond of period drama parlour games and a frequenter of the Period Drama King blog, things mightn't have turned out so fiery. The aim of the game is to figure out which period drama character connects a trio of well-known actors so it'll do to think of historical dramas, legendary tales and classic novels and plays that have been seen quite a few times on the big and small screens. For example if the question was Martita Hunt, Charlotte Rampling and Helena Bonham Carter, the answer would be the aforementioned Miss Havisham. That's all there is to it so good luck and enjoy!
1. Laurence Olivier, Timothy Dalton and Ralph Fiennes.
2. Margaret Rutherford, Gemma Jones and Anna Massey.
3. Steven Mackintosh, Dominic West and Colin Firth.
4. Freda Jackson, Judi Dench and Julie Walters.
5. Oliver Reed, Andy Serkis and Tom Hardy.
6. Olivia de Havilland, Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio and Cate Blanchett.
7. Bosco Hogan, Hugh Grant and Dan Stevens.
8. Wendy Hiller, Audrey Hepburn and Twiggy.
9. Richard Harris, Clive Owen and Bradley James.
10. Edith Evans, Maggie Smith and Sally Field.
11. Booth Conway, Andrew Scott and Jared Harris.
12. Agnes Moorehead, Fiona Shaw and Sally Hawkins.
13. Robert Redford, Toby Stephens and Tobey Maguire.
14. Vivien Leigh, Sophie Marceau and Keira Knightley.
15. Sophie Thompson, Prunella Scales and Tamsin Greig.
16. Charles Gray, Simon Callow and Mark Williams.
17. Peter Firth, Oliver Milburn and Eddie Redmayne.
18. Anne Hathaway, Olivia Williams and Sharon Horgan.
19. Joseph Fiennes, Dean Lennox Kelly and Rafe Spall.
20. Joely Richardson, Gillian Anderson and Andrea Riseborough.
21. Milo O Shea, David Suchet and Stephen Rea.
22. Bette Davis, Miranda Richardson and Vanessa Redgrave.
23. Felix Aylmer, Whoopi Goldberg and Stephen Fry.
24. Gracie Fields, Angela Lansbury and Julia McKenzie.
2. Miss Prism
3. Fred, Scrooge's Nephew
4. Mistress Quickly
5. Bill Skies
6. Maid Marian
7. Edward Ferrars
8. Eliza Doolittle
9. King Arthur
10. Aunt Betsey Trotwood
12. Mrs Reed
13. Nick Carraway
14. Anna Karenina
15. Miss Bates
16. The Rev Mr Beebe
17. Angel Clare
18. Jane Austen
19. William Shakespeare
20. Wallis Simpson
21. Leopold Bloom
22. Elizabeth the First
23. The Cheshire Cat
24. Miss Marple